Is there a transaction on your account that doesn’t look right? Or an issue with something you’ve bought? Follow these steps.
It’s important for us to identify this because if it is fraud we will need to cancel your card immediately.
- Call us immediately on 08 8227 2222 during office hours
- Login to your Internet Banking (not the Mobile App), head to the ‘Services’ tab and from the drop down box select ‘Card Management’. Mark card as Lost/Stolen.
- 1800 648 027 after hours
- +61 2 8299 9101 for Overseas
Identify if the transaction is unauthorised (fraud) or a dispute.
Fraud – You didn’t participate in the transaction in any way. Your card details have been stolen by a fraudster for financial gain.
Dispute – You participated in the transaction, but perhaps something has gone wrong.
- Goods or services were not provided
- Duplicated transaction
- Incorrect amount charged
- A recurring transaction you’ve already cancelled has debited again
Don’t recognise a transaction?
Here are a few things to think about what it might be before giving us a call:
- Is the transaction a regular membership, subscription fee or app download?
- Was the transaction a preauthorisation?
- Was the transaction a free trial that has expired?
- Was the purchase made by a family member or another authorised member?
- Was the transaction purchased in a foreign currency and converted to AUD?
24/7 Fraud Bureau Service
Operated by trained fraud specialists, the Fraud Bureau Service provides our members with 24/7 protection against fraudulent transactions all year round.
- The fraud department will never attempt to confirm the primary account number (PAN) of a member’s card during an outbound call to a member.
- A genuine call from the fraud department will only ever ask to confirm the last 4 digits of the card.
- Although the fraud department require limited member information to confirm high risk transactions, the fraud department will always encourage a member to contact the Fire Service Credit Union on 08 8227 2222, if they are ever unsure or uncomfortable with the legitimacy of the call.
What is a Chargeback
A chargeback is a right that we exercise on behalf of a member holding a visa debit card (the cardholder). It is a right to charge back responsibility for a debit card transaction from us to the merchant’s financial institution.
If you dispute a debit card transaction we will promptly claim a chargeback right on your behalf where one exists. However, for us to be able to do this you must dispute the transaction as soon as possible as our right to seek a chargeback only lasts for a limited period of time.
If a Visa Debit card transaction was:
- for goods or services that the Merchant did not deliver,
- for goods and services which did not match the description provided by the Merchant,
- unauthorised payments debited to your visa debit card pursuant to a recurring payment arrangement (i.e. where payments continue to be debited even though the recurring payment arrangement has been cancelled)
You must inform us of the disputed transaction within the timeframes set by Visa International for us to be able to attempt a chargeback. You can do this by telling us within 30 days after the date of the transaction and providing us with any information we require.
- It is important to note that the merchant may challenge the chargeback, and hence a successful outcome is not guaranteed.